1. Title of Workshop: Academic leadership to help faculty grow academically and
2. Names of Faculty With Designation, Institutional Affiliations and Emails:
- Dr Thomas V Chacko, Director PSG-FAIMER Regional Institute, Coimbatore
- Dr Ciraj Ali Mohammed, Director Manipal University FAIMER Regional
- Dr. Anupi Das
3. Brief Introduction to Workshop:
Literature on academic leadership suggests that all levels of faculty play leadership roles and so would benefit from building up their capacity to fulfill this role. Besides, Academic Leaders within Institutions throughout the world are striving hard to make their institutions get recognized as a center of academic excellence. For this purpose, apart from the Dean or the Principal, there are other positions – both formal as well as informal where we are often entrusted to play Leadership roles within our own department or at institutional level to help junior faculty and colleagues to grow academically as well as help our students excel in various ways. This workshop is meant for you to sharpen your Academic Leadership skills for fostering Academic growth of faculty under you so that it translates to better learning by students.
4. Who Should Attend?
- All faculty members wishing to achieve academic excellence
- Academic Leaders, Heads of Departments & Institutions who want to create an enabling institutional environment that fosters Academic excellence
- Faculty who want to Mentor colleagues and Students – both UG and PG towards the path of academic excellence
5. Intended Outcomes:
- State the attributes of Academic Leader that help foster academic growth;
- Demonstrate Leadership skills needed for:
- Setting direction to achieve common purposes:
- Empowering faculty and staff to convert vision to reality:
- Use tools for change management
- Do Academic Mentoring
- Building a community of scholars:
- Give Feedback and Feed Forward
6. Key References:
- Developing Academic Leaders from College Deans: Leading from Within, by Wolverton M and Gmelch W.H., American Council on Education, Oryx Press, 2002.
- Chacko TV. Time Travel: Journey into the future.SEAJME2008 vol. 2, no. 1 pp 91-92